anthonyBarnum Public Relations is looking for a senior public relations writer with at least seven years of experience to join its growing team in Austin. The writer is primarily responsible for writing multiple levels of content for a variety of client campaigns in complex sectors. Additional responsibilities include research and analysis, as well as conducting media outreach activities. This position works simultaneously across multiple technical campaigns, collaborating closely with client account leads.
Typically receiving general instructions and guidance on new assignments, this position requires the ability to establish autonomous methods and procedures for attaining specific account goals and objectives, with minimal instruction on day-to-day work. Applicant should have strong research skills and extensive AP grammar experience.
- To be considered for the position, applicants must include a cover letter with at least four writing examples, all of which must demonstrate experience with complex subject matters.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Research, plan, create and write content for clients, including (but not limited to): press releases, media pitches, bylines, blogs, ePapers, executive bios, case studies, talking points, award applications and web content
- Ability to research, process and develop communications and content around technical/complex subject matters
- Originate thought leadership and media pitch concepts
- Ability to provide strategic direction and participate in account planning when appropriate
- Responsible for media outreach and pitching
- Serve as a contact with media on clients’ behalf (this may include trade, business, national and consumer press, analysts, etc.)
- Mentor junior staff to develop proficiencies in writing and researching for complex subject matters
- Ability to incorporate colleagues’ feedback as part of the writing process
- Stay abreast of industry and client trends in multiple fields, particularly technology, media and health care
- Ability to collaborate with multiple managers and follow several campaign timelines, simultaneously
- Responsible for getting approval on all deliverables from managers
- Requires a blend of in-office and remote anthonyBarnum team collaboration, as well as participation in client calls and in-person client meetings
- Responsible for creating and managing editorial calendars, as needed
- Ensure and monitor hours and campaigns are maximized to benefit the client
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor of Arts or similar, majoring in English, journalism or other writing intensive subject
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience
- Very strong business and technical writing skills
- Be extremely fluent in editing and writing in Associated Press style
- Must be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Only applicants with former journalism, public relations agency or in-house communications experience will be considered for this role.